Quality grading of mares
QUALITY GRADING OF MARES IN SWB
In 2013 the studbook for mares in SWB was replaced by a quality grading system based on performance from young horse tests, competition and breeding.
Mares with merits from either the young horse test or competition may be performance graded for a certain achievement rate (selection mare with either one, two or three stars). A conformation evaluation of mares in conjunction w/foal inspection is only needed for mares with performance merits that are to be performance graded and have not been inspected at an earlier date. A conformation evaluation is not needed for mares that are to be quality graded for a breeding class, either A or ELIT.
For mares that have participated in the young horse test including a riding test and have received the scores to be graded; the results may be used for performance grading. Mares may also participate in the Open class at the young horse test in order to receive a conformation evaluation to be used for the performance grading. Non SWB mares may be quality graded in SWB providing they fulfill the pedigree requirements. A riding test performed abroad may be used.
If you wish to have your mare graded, you may send an application to SWANA including official documentation on the merits of the mare.
Basic criteria for eligibility
- The mare has to be SWB/SWANA registered.
- The mare has undergone an evaluation (Young Horse test as a 3-4 yr old or Open class up to 10 yrs of age or General conformation inspection. No score for Type, Head Neck and Body, Legs may be under 7. Mares placed in S class (dressage/jumping/eventing) are exempt from the conformation evaluation.
- The mare needs to show proof of rideability either through a satisfactory riding test at the YH test as a 3-yr old or through the young horse test as a 4-yr old (under saddle) or through show results.
- The mare owner shall show official documentation of the mare’s merits.
Criteria for performance rating *
To achieve the performance rating* the mare shall other than the basic criteria also fulfill one of the following criteria:
- a) Class 1 at the YH test either as a 3 – or 4 – yr old
- b) Own competition merits; one of the following: – placed in 1.20 m jumping – placed in first level dressage – placed in 1.00 m eventing
- c) Breeding index of 115 dressage or 120 m jumping and presented at YH test.
Criteria for performance rating **
To achieve the performance rating** the mare shall other than the basic criteria also fulfill one of the following criteria:
- a) Diploma in jumping/dressage at the YH test as a 3- 4 yr old
- b) Own competition merits, one of the following: – minimum 3 clear rounds 1.30 m jumping – third level dressage 60% minimum – 2-star eventing
- c) Started in YH championship final (round 1) as a 3-, 4-, 5- or 6-yr old
- d) Breeding index 125 dressage or 130 jumping and presented at YH test
Criteria for performance rating ***
To achieve the performance rating*** the mare shall other than the basic criteria also fulfill one of the following criteria:
- a) Own competition merits, one of the following: – minimum 3 clear rounds in 1.40 m jumping – Prix St Georges dressage 60 % – placed in 2-star eventing or competed in 3-star eventing
- b) Breeding index 135 dressage or 140 jumping and presented at YH test
Selection mare criteria
All mares eligible for the performance rating *, ** or *** through individual performance or through merits of offspring having reached breeding class A or ELIT, are eligible for the selection mare status